Welcome to the website of the South Liverpool Orchestra
Date: Tuesdays – start date 28th September 2021 Time: 7.30 pm
Rehearsal Venue: Liverpool Reform Synagogue, 28 Church Road North, Wavertree, L15 6TF
Update – Thursday 30th September 2021
It was great to welcome so many of you to the first rehearsal of the autumn term on Tuesday, and to see both old and new faces alike. Here is a reminder of our risk assessment, please do let us know if you have any concerns, and we will try to help as much as we can.
Rob, Laura and the SLO Committee
The following is taken from the latest government guidance:
“As COVID-19 restrictions are lifted, it is important that we all use personal judgment to manage our own risk. All of us can play our part by exercising common sense and considering the risks. No situation is risk free, so we all need to understand the factors and settings that increase the risk of COVID-19 transmission and the actions that we can all take to reduce COVID-19 infection, both for ourselves and for others.”
Groups who meet should produce risk assessments which they then share and members should comment on. We encourage you to read the following and send me any comments or suggestions. I think it best to keep our risk assessment focused and short. Hopefully we are all aware of the pertinent issues and it seems unnecessary to repeat them.
Risk assessment for restarting our rehearsals.
One of the main risk to and from others will come from lots of people touching hard surfaces (door handles, taps in the toilets, toilet seats, keys, alarm buttons / switches, light switches, seats). The synagogue have highlighted this. Woodwind and brass players will produce spit / saliva which will drip on the floor. We have previously had drinks and biscuits in our break, taking biscuits from a Tupperware box and the drinks being prepared and poured out. The rooms we use have been the entrance hall, the (rear) main hall, the toilets and the kitchen. We have moved tables if they are spread out in the hall when we arrive and put out the chairs.
Risk will be minimised by:
- Restricting those who go into the kitchen to those who have to (to get any keys for example).
- We bring our own drinks and biscuits / snacks
- We identify a restricted group to switch lights on, handle keys etc – things which not everyone needs to touch.
- Ensuring we have the room as ventilated as possible (hopefully not annoying any neighbours with loud music!).
- Those who arrive early tend to put the seats out for the group. Practically it would be hard for people to put their own seats out. At the end people can put their own seats back.
- At the end of the rehearsal we use appropriate wipes / cleaning solution to wipe all hard surfaces that have been touched. We will also clean the floor where spit / saliva has collected. Used wipes can be put in a bin bag and one person can dispose of them.
- We will recommend all members be vaccinated and urge them to have a covid test before the rehearsal. Those with symptoms or who test positive should not attend (see below).
Wearing masks and sharing music / socially isolating:
- We do not want to say we must wear masks when possible – at the beginning and end of the rehearsal, at the break and possibly whilst playing for string players – though that may be good practice.
- Space is limited if we all return – and we may have new members as there have been a number of enquiries – so I think it would be hard for all to isolate. If someone is very keen to self isolate I am sure we will all do our best to help them and also respect social distance when not playing for this for whom that is important.
- There is also the issue of sharing stands / music. Whilst we can all bring our own stands initially we may not have enough music for a part for everyone. If people feel strongly about this we may be able to get extra copies though even with one stand per person there may not be enough room to isolate.
- In order to ensure the safest environment possible for all we recommend vaccination if available and would urge people to test themselves each week and not attend if they are positive or have symptoms. We do not think we should insist on this though some organisations are. There is a link to order tests online:
Update – Tuesday 7th September 2021
hope you are all staying safe and well. It was great to see some of you at the social meet up at the end of July. We are excited to announce that we are planning to restart rehearsals at the Synagogue on Tuesday 28th September 2021!
Term dates for your Diaries are as follows:
Autumn Term – 28/09/21 to 7/12/21.
Spring Term – 11/01/22 to 5/04/22 with an Orchestra social meal planned for Tuesday 04/01/22.
Summer Term – 26/04/22 to 24/05/22.
We will be circulating guidance about keeping everyone as safe as possible in addition to any extra information from the Synagogue about what they expect of us as soon as we have it. Watch this space for further details!
Rob, Laura and the SLO Committee
Update – Wednesday 21 July 2021
Hope you are all staying safe and well. As circulated in the recent email, we have tentatively planned a social meet up outdoors for this coming Sunday to give us all chance to catch up before rehearsals start again in September (we will be keeping a watching brief on government guidance and will update again before then with dates and times for rehearsals).
Date: Sunday 25 July 2pm (weather permitting)
Venue: Greenbank Park (meeting point near to the café/children’s playground. Greenbank Road, Liverpool L18 1HQ.
There is a Tesco Metro nearby where you can purchase drinks/snacks or the cafe at the park, or there is the option to bring your own. We would also suggest you bring a chair/blanket to sit on – there are picnic tables at the park but not sure how many will be available on the day. Parking should be ok in the surrounding roads close to the Park.
We look forward to seeing you on Sunday if you are able to make it, please do let us know if you are unsure of directions and we will do our best to help.
We will email round if the weather turns unfavourable and replan for another date so do keep an eye out and make sure you are on our distribution list and that we have a contact number for you. This will also help us in the event track and trace is needed.
Rob, Laura and the SLO committee
Thursday 10th September 2020
We are still working our way through the latest government guidance and unfortunately are not able to restart on 15 September 2020 as we were hoping. We will let you know when we can restart as soon as possible.
thank you for your continued patience!
Rob, Laura and the SLO committee
An update – Wednesday 26 August 2020
Please continue to refer to Rob’s previous email (message also posted on the SLO Facebook) with guidance on continuing to keep to a regular instrumental practise routine at this time, perhaps using online resources/lessons too and watching online orchestral concerts. Obviously there is no need to return the SLO music yet whilst the Library is shut but do keep it safe as Paul will want it back eventually…! Our Christmas concert is likely to include much music originally scheduled for this May concert, with the addition of the usual audience carols and Christmas pieces. Therefore practice of the music you have remains relevant.
At this time it’s important we all keep in touch and support our membership. We’re very keen to ensure that all players return to SLO in September. After the current pandemic there will also be the opportunity to relaunch and welcome new players seeking a fresh start. Take care & stay safe. Every kind wish, Rob & Laura
About us: We are a group of amateur and student musicians who meet every Tuesday at 7.30pm (throughout term-time) to play music together. The fact we are a rehearsal orchestra means the music we play changes every few weeks. Our conductor is Dr Rob Howard. Thinking of Joining us? We are always happy to see new musicians, so please look at the section on the Orchestra for more details, and if you like what you see, drop us a line via email.
Term Dates 2021-2022 (Tuesdays 19:30 – 21:30)
Autumn term: 28th Sept 2021 to 4th December 2021. Spring term: 11th January 2022 to 5th April 2022. Summer term: 26th April 2022 to 24th May 2022.